Chiropractors are an important part of any health care team. They provide preventative care, assessment and treatment of the entire musculoskeletal system, and they help patients to find relief from all types of ailments and injuries. So why are people often afraid to take the first step and meet with a chiropractor?
It seems there is a lot of misinformation out there that has some people nervous about the accreditation of chiropractors or the benefits and risks of chiropractic treatment. If you think you might be a good candidate for chiropractic care, but are a little anxious to take the plunge, read on while we debunk some common myths around chiropractics.
- Chiropractors aren’t real doctors. Chiropractors are regulated in B.C., and throughout Canada as well. They are highly educated professionals who completed their Doctor of Chiropractic Degree and have earned the right to use the title of doctor in their practice. This is similar to optometrists and dentists who are extensively educated and trained in their fields.
- Chiropractic adjustments are painful. The goal of any chiropractor is to help you find relief from pain. Some patients actually find instant relief, while others take some time to see the benefits of their treatment. Either way, your chiropractor will ensure that you are comfortable at all times and will never use force or excessive pressure to achieve results.
- The cracking noise is bad for your spine. The cracking or popping noise patients often hear during an adjustment is simply the sound of air escaping from the fluid around the joints. Nothing to worry about at all! In fact, most people say it feels pretty good!
- Once you start seeing a chiropractor, you’ll always have to go. This is simply untrue. Your chiropractor will develop a treatment plan with your goals in mind, helping you to achieve pain relief, mobility and range of motion. This can include several approaches, including adjustment, at home exercises and even complementary treatments. Rest assured, however, that the goal is to help you “graduate” from care, healthier and stronger than ever!
- Chiropractors can’t treat anything but back pain. Chiropractors can and do treat the spine, but they are specialists in the entire musculoskeletal system. This means they can also treat everything from shin splints to chronic headaches as well. They are skilled diagnosticians who can assess and treat a multitude of conditions in the body.
- Why see a chiropractor if I can crack my own back (or joints). Cracking your own joints, while sometimes can provide a temporary sense of relief, does not address the underlying structural problem. Furthermore, it may lead to injury or hypermobility concerns. If you feel the constant need to crack your own back or joints, a visit to the chiropractor is definitely a good idea for you! There you will receive a thorough assessment, and will receive professional manipulation and learn exercises that will provide long term solutions to your problem.
- Chiropractic care costs too much. Most people who have private insurance through their school, work or union can have most or all of their treatment covered by their policy. In most cases, your chiropractor can sign off on treatment as your primary care provider, allowing you to make claims and receive reimbursement. Even if you are not covered for treatment, consider the long term benefits to your health as an investment in your well-being. Addressing problems earlier can save on further financial investments later on, and avoids the potential for missed work or the inability to function at the activity level your currently enjoy.
If you’ve been considering chiropractic care but were concerned with some of the myths surrounding treatment, rest assured that chiropractors are professionals with a great deal of education who can provide real relief from many ailments of the musculoskeletal system. If you have any further questions, or to book a consultation, give us a call at Kamloops Integrated Wellness for clear advice and real answers you can trust.